Providence city leaders ask city for change after 5th homicide in 2 weeks

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Mayor Jorge Elorza and other city leaders are calling on the community to stand up to gun violence, after 5 homicides in the capitol city in the last two weeks.

Elorza held a press conference Friday morning on Broad Street, in the same parking lot where 35-year-old Delron Fields was murdered earlier in August.

The mayor, along with police chief, Hugh Clements, and other community leaders addressed a crowd Friday morning, begging them to speak up if they know of anyone in possession of an unlawful firearm.

The conference was organized after 29-year-old Kadeem Moore of Providence was shot and killed on Tobey Street Thursday night.

As of now, police have not arrested any suspects in connection to Moore’s murder. They do not believe the shooting was related to any of the others in recent weeks, but do believe Moore was targeted.

“The fact that there is no connection between incidents to this point does not lessen our concern that there might be retaliation,” said Elorza.

 

Elorza and police are now concerned that there are too many guns on the streets of the capitol city. The concern amplified by the fact that 52 hand guns and rifles were stolen from a Providence home earlier this month.

 

“We need proper storage of these guns that were released,” said Diana Garlington of Moms Demand Action. 

 

Elorza and Chief Clements also asked gun-owners to lock their weapons in safes, so if their homes were broken into, the guns could not be accessed.

 

Many who attended the press conference pointed to the discontinuation of youth programs and sports as a possible explanation for the uptick in violence. 

 

“We haven’t been able to offer them in the way that we have in the past because of COVID-19,” explained Elorza.

 

Moore’s death is the 10th homicide in Providence in 2020 and the 5th in the last 2 weeks. 

Categories: News, Providence, Rhode Island