Providence closing 19 schools Thursday due to heat
The district said that it is committed to “the safety and well-being of our students, staff, and families,” and will be temporarily closing 19 schools.
The closed schools are:
- Asa Messer Elementary School
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School
- George J. West Elementary School
- Harry Kizirian Elementary School
- Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School
- Robert F. Kennedy Elementary School
- Vartan Gregorian Elementary School
- Veazie Street Elementary School
- Webster Avenue Elementary School
- Esek Hopkins Middle School
- Gilbert Stuart Middle School
- Nathan Bishop Middle School
- Nathanael Greene Middle School
- Roger Williams Middle School
- West Broadway Middle School
- A-Venture Academy
- Classical High School
- Hope High School
- Mt. Pleasant High School
The district added that free meals will be available to students and their families at 234 Daboll St. from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
“For the schools that stay open, there will be no outdoor recess or afterschool activities district wide,” PPSD said. “Schools that are not on this list will remain open.”
In addition, students will be kept indoors during school hours, school buses will be equipped with water, and the district is asking parents to ensure their children are dressed appropriately for the heat, wait for buses in the shade, and have a water bottle.
“We understand the challenges that extreme heat conditions can bring, and we appreciate families’ cooperation and understanding,” the district said. “The safety and well-being of our students and staff are of the utmost importance, and we will continue to monitor the weather.”
For the latest updates on school closures, delays and early releases, click here.