Fire Departments remind people to check carbon monoxide detectors

By Ana Bottary

abottary@abc6.com

@anabottary

Dizziness and nausea is what the third floor tenant of a Providence apartment building was experiencing Wednesday night. Landlord, Dianne Ascencao, says the symptoms may have been ignored if it weren’t for the smell.
 
"It was great that they smelt it. He probably saved their fellow tenants lives for being aware of a different kind of smell in the building," says Ascencao.
 
While carbon monoxide is odorless, fire officials say that when a heating unit is not working efficiently it can cause a different odor. When firefighters arrived after getting the call, they performed a carbon monoxide reading, and Acting Deputy Assistant Chief Jeffrey Varone says what they found was alarming.
 
"OSHA has standards in the work place that anything over 25 parts per million, they require you to have respiratory protection. We had readings of four hundred parts per million," says Varone.
 
The tenant was taken to the hospital but has since been released. Ascencao says she’s happy they caught the problem before it was too late.
 
"It’s something you can’t see, you know? You don’t have that system in your house. Coming up through the chimney, you don’t know if there’s a little leak. And that is all it takes, one little leak," says Ascencao.
 
Fire officials say you should switch them up every seven to ten years. If you’re not sure of the last time you replaced your detector, you can find the manufacturing date on the back.
 
"It’s a good idea to get the word out so everyone protects themselves," adds Varone.

© WLNE-TV 2015