Providence man found guilty of murder in 2021 shooting

Thumbnail Mangru
Andrew Mangru booking photo/Courtesy Providence Police Department

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — A Providence man was found guilty of a 2021 murder and assault stemming from a shooting in Providence.

Andrew Mangru, 23, was found guilty following a seven-day trial Friday of second degree murder and several other charges in the shooting death of Andrei Bonilla.

According to prosecutors, Mangru shot and killed Bonilla in the early morning hours of Aug. 28, 2021, on Harwol Street in Providence.

Prosecutors said Bonilla was dropping off a woman that Mangru previously dated at a home there when he slapped the victim and fired at least five rounds at Bonilla resulting in his death.

“This case is about senseless and indiscriminate gun violence. And this violence, which too often results in death, can be traced to one thing, the very thing that is at the heart of this case: illegal firearms wielded by criminals all too willing to use them at a moment’s notice to settle minor disputes and ridiculous scores,” said Attorney General Peter Neronha.

Mangru is being held at the ACI where he is awaiting to be sentenced at a later date.

Categories: News, Rhode Island