Providence schools adapting to keep up with fall sports without buses
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) – Middle school sports in Providence have been cancelled for the duration of the bus strike.
At the high school level, no games have had to be cancelled as of Friday afternoon, but the Athletic Director at Classical High says that’s thanks in part to the other high schools who’ve stepped up and offered to travel to them, even during regularly-scheduled away games.
Robert Palazzo says this helps the teams not miss games. But, it also leaves other teams at the school with nowhere to practice.
“I do have an available gym, I do have an available corner of the field,” he says.
Unlike some other schools in the city, Classical only has one field. He says it’s been working out so far, but it’s certainly been challenging for the athletic staff, students, and parents across the district.
Thursday night, ABC6 spoke to a Central High School parent who says she had to bring her daughter to her soccer game herself. Palazzo says other parents have been carpooling.
“We had our first successful carpool with tennis yesterday,” he says.
But he’s worried it’s hurting student athletes’ training for the season.
“I want to give our kids the best possible opportunity to take part in a game, a contest. It’s affecting that.”