Summer camps to start June 29, Raimondo encourages camps to apply for federal funding

The Rhode Island Department of Health reported 32 new cases on Monday which is the lowest amount of cases reported in a day since March 27.

PROVIDENCE, RI (WLNE) – Governor Gina Raimondo said Monday that Rhode Island public school students can sign up for free temporary in-person summer learning programs this summer.

Summer Camp public health guidance that was previously announced will still be followed by Summer Camp providers, Raimondo said.

Raimondo said she’s hearing that many summer camps are opening this summer with a date to open as early as June 29. She did note that some camps have decided to close.

Rhode Island will continue distance learning this summer for summer school. Raimondo said they’ll be called “sail courses” which will be a temporary program that public school students can sign up for through the state’s department of education. 

Some federal aid to the state will be used to help summer camps with their added costs like more staffing and cleaning, the governor said. Summer Camps can apply for funding on reopeningri.com.

There will also be a new program that will support employers who hire Rhode Island youth for COVID-19 response related jobs.

Raimondo said her office received “a lot of complaints” that the Block Island Ferry was overcrowded the previous weekend. She says the ferry is not at fault and did everything they could.

The Governor claimed that the Block Island Ferry urged people to wear masks and spread out, and they added a ferry headed to the mainland at the end of the day. It was the patrons that the Governor said need to “do better.”

Also Lincoln Woods and Colt State Park were briefly closed over the weekend due to overcrowding, according to Gov. Raimondo.

“We need to do a better job with mask-wearing while in public,” Raimondo said. “It’s just common sense.”

On another note Raimondo said 150 inspectors checked restaurants over the weekend asking owners for their COVID-19 plan. She said there was an 80% compliance rate.

The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) reported 32 new cases on Monday which is the lowest amount of cases reported in a day since March 27. RIDOH says 1,813 tests were recorded on Sunday.

RIDOH also reported 6 new deaths on Monday bringing the state’s death toll 851.

Over the weekend 119 cases and 12 deaths were reported between Saturday and Sunday.

Out of the 18 deaths since Friday, the majority of those individuals were in their 80s. One was in their 40s, 3 in their 50s, one in their 60s, two in their 70s, and 3 were in their 90s, according to RIDOH Director Dr. Nicole Alexander- Scott.

The director also confirmed Rhode Island’s first pediatric COVID-19 death last week of someone younger than 19. The individual had significant underlying health conditons, according to Dr. Alexander Scott.

There are 127 people in the hospital, 21 in the ICU, and 14 people require a ventilator.

Dr. Alexander- Scott says RIDOH officials are working with nursing homes on drive-by visits by appointment for nursing home residents.

Visitors will have to stay in the car and not all nursing homes will be able to do it based on their building’s layout.

 

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Rhode Island