Rain Suspends Pawsox Game Into Late July

Rain halts game, Clippers lead 4-3


After several days of good weather, rain returned to McCoy Stadium with a vengeance in the sixth inning Sunday afternoon and brought a halt to the Clippers-PawSox tilt with Columbus leading, 4-3.


The PawSox held a 3-2 lead after five innings, but reliever T.J. Large ran into trouble in the top of the sixth as thunder began to sound. By the time rain was coming down hard enough for the umpires to call for the tarp, Large had let two runs cross the plate. Because the lead changed hands in the top of an inning with the home team not having the chance to bat (and thus a called game would have to revert to the end of the previous inning, giving the PawSox the victory), the game is suspended and will be completed July 23 at Columbus.


Stats for this game are unofficial until the game is completed, but Lars Anderson, mired in an 0-29 slump, managed a hit after taking the night off yesterday. Josh Rodriguez homered to put the Clippers on top 2-0 in the third, and Bubba Bell responded with a solo shot of his own in the bottom half. Ryan Shealy then followed with another home run in the bottom of the fourth and the PawSox drew even, 2-2. Bell continued his hot hitting with an RBI single to drive in Josh Reddick, aboard with a leadoff double, in the fifth.


PawSox starter Kris Johnson gave up two runs on five hits and two walks in five innings before giving way to Large. With one out in the sixth, a walk, a single, and another walk loaded the bases before Cord Phelps grounded to Lars Anderson at first. Anderson fired to second for the second out, but the return throw pulled Large, covering at first, off the bag as Jared Goedert scored to tie the game. Large then walked Michael Brantley and Rodriguez with two outs to force home Chris Gimenez with the go-ahead run.


The umpires then stopped play with a 2-2 count on the next batter, Lou Marson. The rain came in torrents and within minutes formed standing puddles in the outfield as well as flooding the warning tracks and the first row of seats. Though the rain lasted only a short while, the field was rendered unplayable for the rest of the day.


The PawSox hit the road for the next eight games, traveling first to Scranton and then to Syracuse for four-game sets against the Yankees and Chiefs, respectively. Michael Bowden (2-3) faces Scranton's Ivan Nova (5-2) tomorrow night at 7:05.