Rams Beat Bears in OT In Thrilling Governor’s Cup Showdown

Bears Fall To Rhody, 27-24, In Overtime


Kingston, Rhode Island –  In a hard fought battle for the Governor's Cup, Brown's overtime field goal didn't match a Rhode Island touchdown, as the Bears dropped their first game of the season, 27-24, in overtime before a sellout crowd of 7,622 at Meade Stadium.  The loss drops the Bears to 2-1 overall, 1-0 in the Ivy League, while Rhode Island evened its record at 2-2.


Brown had the ball first in overtime, but was held to a 34-yard field goal by freshman kicker Alex Norocea.


Rhode Island struck on its first overtime play, when senior quarterback Steve Probst ran up the middle for a 25-yard touchdown to give the Rams the victory.


Senior All-Ivy quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero, making his first start of the season,  had a big day for the Bears, completing 25 of 40 passes for 325 yards and three touchdowns. He was injured on Brown's last offensive play of regulation and did not play in overtime.


Brown struggled offensively with its run game, but its receiver corps was outstanding.  Senior Alex Tounkara caught 7 passes for 119 yards, sophomore Tellef Lundevall made 8 receptions for 60 yards, and junior Jimmy Saros hauled in six passes for 61 yards.


Defensively, junior safety Steven Peyton seemed to be in on every tackle, making a career high 20 tackles.  Senior linebacker Andrew Serrano added 12 tackles, while senior outside linebacker Phil Roffi came up with nine total hits.


Coming off an emotional win over Harvard last week, Brown's defense wasn't able to match the offensive intensity of the Rams in the early going. Rhode Island, who had a big win over #8 New Hampshire in its last game, struck first when Jarrod Williams blocked a Brown punt and fell on it in the end zone for a touchdown, giving the Rams a 7-0 advantage.


Brown didn't wait long to even the game.  With the ball on the Brown 39 yard line, Newhall-Caballero connected with Tounkara across the middle, who caught the ball at the Rhode Island 47-yard line, broke two tackles, and out-ran the Rhode Island defense the rest of the way for a 61-yard touchdown reception with 8:49 left in the first quarter.


The Rams took a 14-7 lead on their next possession when Probst scored on a five yard run with 5:06 to play in the quarter, capping a 70-yard drive.


The Bears opened the scoring in the second half with a 69-yard scoring drive.  Senior Alex Prestley caught a Newhall-Caballero pass at the 15 yard line, broke a tackle, and ran down the sideline the rest of the way for a 21 yard touchdown reception with 4:24 left in the third quarter to tie the score, 14-14.


Probst gave the Rams a 21-14 lead when he leaned into the end zone on a quarterback sneak from one yard out with 14:22 left in the fourth quarter.


Brown answered once again when Newhall-Caballero threw a 19-yard dart into the end zone that was hauled in by Saros to tie the game, 21-21 with 11:59 remaining in regulation.


Brown is back in action again next week, traveling to Worcester, Mass. to face Holy Cross on Saturday, October 9. Game time for the 55th meeting between the two New England rivals is 1:00 p.m. at Fitton Field.