Rams Win in Italy
Rhody won its second game in its three-game tour of Italy – a 91-79
victory over the Vicenza All-Stars. The game was the first of four for
the Vicenza squad against NCAA Division I level teams this month. They
will also face
Saint Joseph's, Clemson and Loyola (Ill.).
The Vicenza All-Star team is made up of professionals from the Italian SerieA and Nazionale B levels.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* Post players provided the spark on the night. Gilyvdas Biruta
registered a double-double, with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Six of his
12 rebounds game on the offensive glass.
* Ifeanyi Onyekaba
also registered 10 points and six boards. The sophomore from Nigeria
racked up four offensive rebounds, a block, and a steal in 17 minutes.
* Biggie Minnis had 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the floor. He also dished out three assists.
* Xavier Munford
scored 10 of his 13 points in the second half, including a 4th quarter
3-pointer from the deep corner which effectively sealed the victory. He
also added a team-high four assists.
* Jordan Hare registered eight rebounds and two blocks.
* URI is playing under the FIBA rules for their three games. Some of
the major differences between the international and NCAA rule books are:
– Four 10 minute quarters instead of two 20 minute halves
– :24 second shot clock instead of :35
– A backcourt violation occurs after eight seconds, not 10
– The 3-point line is 22 feet, 1.7 inches – farther back than the 20 feet, 9 inches for the college game
– Teams are in the 2-shot bonus after the fifth foul of each period. In
the college game, 1-and-1 is contested after the seventh foul of the
half and a two-shot bonus occurs after the 10th team foul.
– Each team has five :75 second timeouts: two in the first half, three in the second. They do not carry over.
– Timeouts can be called only by the head coach and only during dead-ball situations and before free throws.
* Rhode Island had 15 assists on 37 made baskets.
Rhode Island finishes its 10-day, four-city, three-game tour of Italy
this coming weekend in Lake Como. The Rams will play on Sunday night
again the Selezione Varese All-Star team. Tipoff is 8 p.m. Central
European Time/2 p.m. ET/8 a.m. Hawaiian.