Rams Win In OT
Rhode Island Release
Rhody shot a season-high 55.1% from the floor – including 63.6% in the
second half – to earn its first Atlantic 10 victory of the season,
82-80, at Saint Louis. The Rams sealed the W by going 10-of-10 from the
charity stripe during the extra period. The victory extends URI's win
streak over SLU to five games, dating back to the 2009-10 season.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* Xavier Munford
– the A-10's leading scorer – led Rhode Island with 24 points. He was
8-of-14 from the floor, including 4-of-8 from the perimeter.
* Munford's 3-pointer with 1:05 left in regulation tied it at 65-65,
forcing overtime at Chaifetz Arena. It was one of several big shots by
the Rams, in a game that saw 11 ties and 21 lead changes.
* The Rams connected several big perimeter shots during crunch time. Prior to the game-tying Munford shot, Mike Powell
knocked down a triple from the far deep corner as the shot clock wore
down, making it 62-62 with 1:46 remaining. Powell finished with nine
points and four assists.
* In overtime, after SLU took a 74-71 lead with 1:47 left, Nikola Malesevic drained a deep trey from the top of the key. He finished with 14 points, five assists, and three blocked shots.
* The Rams' bench was efficient and provided a real spark in the win. Alwayne Bigby, T.J. Buchanan, and Ryan Brooks combined for 11 points, eight rebounds, an assist and three steals. The trio shot 5-of-6 from the field.
* Jordan Hare
narrowly missed his first collegiate double-double, finishing with 10
points and nine rebounds to go along with three blocked shots.
* The Rams tied their season high in team assists, with 17. Rhody also had 17 dimes against SMU on Dec. 15.
The Rams host George Washington on Wednesday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m.