Restaurant reopens after DOH shuts it down for not complying with Covid regulations

However there was confusion Wednesday night after the Department of Business Regulations posted on their website that the restaurant had been shut down as of July 3rd.

COVENTRY, R.I. (WLNE) – A Coventry restaurant is back open after being the first shut down by the department of health for non compliance with coronavirus regulations.

However there was confusion Wednesday night after the Department of Business Regulations posted on their website that the restaurant had been shut down as of July 3rd.

One of the owners at Harris Bar and Grille told ABC 6 she had patrons calling her all day
to check if they were open.

“We’re complying by all the rules and can’t wait till it’s over,” said Deborah Colicchio of Harris Bar and Grille.

According to documents from the Rhode Island Department of Health, the restaurant was found to not be in compliance with Covid regulations on three occasions, the last of which was July 1st.

“Plexi-glass had to go up and definitely mask wearing,” explained Colicchio. “I guess there was some complaints. I don’t know they really didn’t tell us much.”

Some of the other violations, according to officials, included the required signage not being posted and an over crowded bar area.

When confronted with the issues the inspectors say the owner Dennis Colicchio told them that he, “Knows the regulations and that he knows he is not compliant, but that he cannot earn a living and will have to close the establishment if he is forced to comply.”

But now the restaurant owners say they are complying and are unsure why the information posted online doesn’t indicate that they have reopened.

“Of course it’s been hard, it’s been hard since March 17th – to get another whack like that, that we were closed – but we’re not! said Colicchio. “We’re just happy to be back in business. We’ve been here 20 years and we’re going to be here 20 more.”

There were seven other businesses that were cited with compliance orders but they have not had to shut down.

We reached out to the DBR for comment on whether the information regarding the Harris Bar and Grille being shutdown will be updated online, but have not heard back.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Regional News, Rhode Island, Your Health