Rhode Island kicks off Special Olympics Summer Games
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — The Rhode Island Special Olympics returned to the Ocean State on Friday.
More than 1,000 athletes from 33 teams are set to compete in this year’s games.
Local police departments will mark the start of the Summer Games with an annual torch run, carrying the “Flame of Hope” to the State House.
An opening ceremony will be held at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Meade Stadium at the University of Rhode Island Kingston campus.
The annual Olympic Village of festivities will be held on campus on Saturday and Sunday.
The Games schedule is listed as the following:
- Bowling — Friday & Saturday at Old Mountain Lanes
- Track and Field — Friday & Saturday at the Mackal Field House
- Unified Soccer — Saturday at the URI Soccer Field
- Soccer Skills — Saturday at the URI Soccer Field
- Swim — Sunday at the Ryan Center
- Powerlifting — Sunday at Keaney Gym
A closing ceremony is set for 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Keaney parking lot.