Rhode Island man charged in Northfield DUI crash
NORTHFIELD, Mass. (WLNE) — A Rhode Island man was arrested on Sunday afternoon after crashing into five motorcyclists in Northfield Massachusetts, according to the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.
Police said that 32-year-old Ryan O’Farrell, of Westerly, drifted into oncoming traffic on Main Street at around 1 p.m. He crashed into the motorcyclists who were traveling from Connecticut.
O’Farrell had two children, ages 11 and 12, in his SUV at the time of the crash, according to the DA’s Office.
Eight people had to be taken to local medical centers, two of which were said to be in critical condition. Those two victims were taken to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester.
O’Farrell was arrested and charged with the following:
- Seven counts of operating under the influence of drugs causing serious bodily injury
- Operating under the influence of drugs
- Two counts of child endangerment
- Negligent operation of a motor vehicle
- Unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle
- Operating an unregistered motor vehicle
He was held on $250,000 bail and will be arraigned in Greenfield District Court on Tuesday morning.
The crash remains under investigation.