Rhode Island seeks to demolish historic Newport property after 4 boys injured
NEWPORT, R.I. (WLNE) — Three young boys were hospitalized and another was hurt after climbing on a worn-down building at Brenton State Park in Newport Tuesday afternoon.
In response, municipalities are discussing their plans to demolish the historic building known as “The Bells.”
“The roof collapsed, gave way, and he came down — and along with him was a big chunk of concrete and it landed on two of the other boys,” said Mike Healey, a spokesperson for the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management.
The DEM and the Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission have been working on plans to take the building on Ocean Drive down.
“We agreed with the DEM,” said Jeff Emidy, who’s with the Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission. “We had not reached a conclusion and that is where it was left off as of last week.”
When it comes to demolishing a historic property, Emidy said there are many restrictions.
“There are a couple sets of regulations that we are involved with, that regulate preservation as a whole and specific actions,” he said.
A local resident told ABC 6 News that many people are wondering why the conversation with the Department of Environmental Management has being going on for years and has not been the result of someone trying to block either side of the argument.