Rhode Island will wait to resume use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)- The state of Rhode Island will wait until next week to officially make a decision on the continuation of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, a spokesperson said Saturday.

Rhode Island Department of Health spokesperson Joseph Wendelken said the state will wait to make the decision on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, stating Rhode Island has enough doses available, that operations will not be disrupted without it.

“We only have a limited amount of Johnston & Johnson vaccine on-hand right now, and we would not expect another shipment for two or three weeks anyway,” Wendelken said.

“On top of that, we have been getting more Moderna and Pfizer vaccine. For those reasons, this pause is not significantly impacting our current operations.”

The decision comes after several states chose to resume use of the one-shot J&J vaccine. Last week, the federal government found 15 vaccine recipients who developed an unusual blood clot after receiving their dose.

All of these people were woman, most under the age of 50.

Three died, and seven are currently hospitalized.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Regional News, Rhode Island