RIIL Details Potential Plan For High School Sports, Could Move To Four-Season Model
Rhode Island Interscholastic League Press Release
Here’s the real update talking points on Fall Sports as they stand right now.
- The Principals Committee on Athletics has voted to delay the start date of Fall Sports from August 17th to September 14th – This will allow our schools to reopen for education before athletics are brought into the equation. Our athletes are students first!
- We have remained consistent in our message that the RIIL will not get ahead of schools that need to reopen and the Governor’s guidance for school sports which is why we have been adamant to not release any information publicly to date. As you know, things are changing rapidly concerning the impact of COVID-19.
- Health and safety of our athletes, coaches, school personnel and officials remains our main priority.
- Our summer has been filled with meetings with all of our stakeholders (Governor’s Task Force, Superintendents, Principals, Athletic Directors and Sport Committees) and it’s very clear from the feedback that our member schools support the educational value and mental health benefits that high school sports provide RI student athletes.
- I want to personally thank and commend our coaches who have worked tirelessly to keep students engaged and connected over the past 5 months. Their dedication and support of kids is so important during these difficult times.
- Although there is still uncertainty about what school will look like this fall and what Phase RI will be in, this update is meant to provide a framework regarding how high school sport decisions will be made moving forward.
- This framework also allows for maximum flexibility to adjust as things change with the intent to offer our member schools and all R.I. high school student athletes with the opportunity to participate in their chosen sport during 2020-21 school year
- Why no decision on fall sports right now? We want to plan for the maximum amount of participation opportunities in the fall that are safe and appropriate while recognizing the challenges facing the reopening of schools for education and learning.
- The RIIL will not make any final decisions on what fall sports will be offered until after August 17th when schools will know what education models they will be using across the state.