Schoff Shuts Out Blue Devils, Bryant Baseball Advances To NEC Championship Round
(Photo courtesy: Bryant Athletics/Steve McLaughlin)
Bryant University Press Release
NORWICH, Conn. – Tyler Schoff struck out 10 and allowed just three hits over eight shutout innings as the top-seeded Bryant University baseball team defeated second-seeded Central Connecticut 6-0 on Friday afternoon at Dodd Stadium.
With the victory, the Bulldogs advance to the championship round of the 2021 Northeast Conference Championships on Saturday. Bryant will face the winner of Saturday’s elimination game between CCSU and Sacred Heart.
Making his postseason debut, Schoff turned in the best performance in his career. He threw 123 pitches, allowed just three singles, walked two and punched out a career-high 10.
Four different Bulldogs recorded multiple hits, with Derek Smith and Jake Gustin driving in a pair.
Bryant 6, Central Connecticut 0
Records: Bryant (27-12-1), CCSU (25-13)
Location: Dodd Stadium (Norwich, Conn.)
W|L|S: Tyler Schoff (7-1) | Brandon Fox (5-5)
- Schoff struck out the side in the top of the first and the Bulldog bats posted two quick runs to get things started.
How it Happened
- Bryant jumped out ahead quickly, scoring twice in the bottom of the first. Matt Woods and Gustin opened the game with back-to-back singles and Smith brought home a run with a single to center. James Ciliento made it 2-0 with a sac fly to left.
- It remained 2-0 until the sixth as CCSU starter Brandon Fox retired 13-of-14 Bulldogs. Liam McGill opened the sixth with a single to center and scored from first as Smith doubled to the wall in left center.
- Bryant pushed its lead to 5-0 in the seventh. Tommy DiTullio and Brian Nicolas opened the inning with back-to-back singles and Woods advanced both with a perfect sac bunt. CCSU then brought in a lefty to face Gustin and Gustin lined the first pitch into center for a two-run single.
- Woods closed the scoring with a perfectly executed safety squeeze in the bottom of the eighth.
- Bryant outhit CCSU, 11-4.
- Schoff tossed 8.0 scoreless innings. He allowed three hits, walked two and struck out 10.
- Woods went 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI.
- Gustin and Smith both had two hits and two RBI.
- McGill reached twice with a single and a walk.
- Nicolas finished with a pair of hits.
- Kevin Gould recorded the final three outs to close the door.
- McGill has reached safely in all 35 games he’s played this season.
- McGill continues to lead the nation in hitting, batting .481.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 30-straight games.
- Gustin leads the Bulldogs with 20 multi-hit games.
- Smith has driven in five runs in the first two tournament games.
- Friday was also Smith’s fifth-straight game with multiple RBIs.
- Schoff set career highs in innings (8.0) and strikeouts (10).
- Schoff improves to 7-1 on the year and has struck out 72 in 69.1 innings.
- The shutout is Bryant’s eighth of the year.
Bryant will face the winner of the CCSU/SHU game on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is currently scheduled for 4:00 p.m.