UPDATE: Search suspended for 3 missing boaters off Cape Cod
By: News Staff
The Coast Guard has suspended the search for three New Bedford men who disappeared on Cape Cod Bay on Tuesday.
A search was being conducted from Sandwich to Provincetown for the missing boaters identified as Mario Fialho, Carlos Amaral, and Dylan Amaral; Carlos’ son.
“They’re commercial fishermen that loved the sea. They were rec. fishing for mackerel. They’re doing what they loved to do,” said Coast Guard Commander Marcus Gherardi.
Their families say all three are skilled boaters who know the sea very well.
Authorities say friend called The Coast Guard after the men stopped answering texts and phone calls, and failed to show up four hours after their scheduled return.
“We knew they were fishing at a place called wood end off of province town and we knew they got there and were fishing for mackerel but we don’t know where they were missing after that,” said Marcus Gherardi.
Planes and boats have been combing the Cape Cod Bay between Sandwich and Provincetown for debris, but so far nothing has been found.
"It hits home anytime we are unable to find mariners who need help," said Capt. Richard Schultz, commander of Sector Southeastern New England. "Search and Rescue resides deep in the fabric of who we are as Coast Guardsmen, and our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends whose loved ones are missing."
©WLNE-TV / ABC6 2016