Smithfield fire that partially collapsed home caused by oil-soaked rags

SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WLNE) — A fire earlier this week in Smithfield that caused a home to partially collapse was caused by oil-soaked rags, the state fire marshal said.

The fire happened at about 9 a.m. Tuesday on Melissa Circle.

A fire breaks out in a home on Melissa Circle in Smithfield, Tuesday, may 16, 2023. (WLNE)

Fire Marshal Tim McLaughlin told ABC 6 News Thursday that the cause of the fire was “spontaneous combustion of oil-soaked rags stored in a bucket.”

Deputy Fire Chief Steve Quattrini said the fire started in the garage area of the home, causing heavy damage to the garage and above it.

A home on Melissa Circle in Smithfield is seen damaged after a fire, Tuesday, May 16, 2023. (WLNE)

Due to the lack of fire hydrants in the area, the freighters had to call for mutual aid tankers from other towns.

No one was in the house at the time of the fire. The home is a total loss.

Categories: News, Rhode Island