Smithfield Police arrest 4 more Bryant Students from Weekend incident

By News Staff


Twitter: @ABC6

SMITHFIELD, R.I (WLNE) – On Tuesday April 9th, and Wednesday April 10th, Smithfield police made additional arrests stemming from an incident at Bryant University on Sunday, April 7th.

Three student-athletes were previously arrested after police say they broke into a campus townhouse Sunday and assaulted two residents.

On Tuesday, Police arrested 19-year-old Jarret Martin of Franklin Massachusetts, charging him with Breaking & Entering and Disorderly Conduct. 

On Wednesday, Police arrested 20-year-old John Amaya of Rye New York, and 19-year-old  Jack McNeil of Marshfield Massachusetts. They were charged with Breaking & Entering, Simple Assault, Disorderly Conduct, and Conspiracy. 

According to police, 20-year-old Sarah McBrien of Scituate Massachusetts was arrested on charges of Breaking & Entering and Disorderly Conduct. 

Martin was taken into custody without incident on April 9th, and later appeared before a bail commissioner, and was released on $1000, surety bail. His pre-arraignment date is on July 2nd, 2019.

Amaya was taken into custody without incident on April 10th, and taken to Third District Court where he appeared before a judge. His bail was set at $25,000 personal recognizance and his pre-arraignment date is set for July 3, 2019.

Both McNeil and McBrien were also taken into custody without Incident on April 10th, and appeared before a bail commissioner. Both were released on $1,000 surety bail and have a pre-arraignment date set for July 10th. 

Martin, McNeil, and Amaya’s names can be seen on the the Bryant University athletics pages. 

Bryant University announced a review to determine if this altercation was precipitated from a bias incident. 

According to Police, the investigation thus far has not found any credible evidence that a bias incident occurred.  However, Police say this investigation has revealed is that a day of excessive drinking, and multiple smaller confrontations during the previous day, culminated in the early morning assaults on April 7th. 

The investigation is currently ongoing, and will be forward to the RI District Attorney General, to determine if additional people being charged is appropriate.