‘Something was wrong’: Milkman saves dog from burning Smithfield home
SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WLNE) — A milkman who was on his normal delivery route in Smithfield earlier this week saved a dog from a burning home.
The fire happened at about 9 a.m. Tuesday on Melissa Circle.
Nick Wilson, who works for Munroe Dairy, told ABC 6 News Friday that he saw smoke as he was making his way to the back part of the neighborhood.
“As I was getting closer to the house, even houses away, I’m noticing smoke and smelling something evil in the air,” said Wilson. “Something was wrong.”
He said he walked up to the home with an order and that’s when he smashed the back glass door to rescue the dog.
“I see this dog every single Tuesday — for two or three years,” said Wilson.
Wilson said he managed to get the dog after a brief chase around the first floor. The dog and family were unharmed in the fire.
Rhode Island State Fire Marshal Tim McLaughlin said Thursday that the fire was caused by oil-soaked rags.
The fire started in the garage area of the home and caused heavy damage to the garage and above it.
The family is currently staying at a hotel.
Wilson is now asking others to help his loyal customers.
“People in this world need more attention. If you are a person that is able to help out a neighbor or a friend, ask them and reach out in the way that you can,” he concluded.