State sees continued decline in virus cases, Raimondo to address changes to beach protocol Wednesday

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) – Governor Raimondo and the Rhode Island Department of Health provided Rhode Islanders with the latest regarding the coronavirus in the state this afternoon.

With Phase 2 officially underway, the governor says, with mobility on the rise, it is more important now than a month ago for everyone to be following protocols and restrictions as the risk of contracting the virus is higher. However, she added that it has been great getting back to some sense of normalcy.

Her reminder comes as other states in the country, such as Florida and Arizona, are seeing spikes in cases. Raimondo said she does not want to see a large spike in cases here and have to retract in advancing to Phase 3 and Phase 4.

RIDOH reports 122 new positive cases of COVID-19 over the weekend along with 9 new deaths. The state has since 16,459 positive cases since the pandemic began and the state’s death toll has now surpassed 900. Those who died as a result of the virus over the weekend range from their 50’s to over 100 years old.  Rhode Island has seen a total of 903 deaths as a result of the virus. The state continues to see a downward trend.

Currently, 106 people remain in the hospital, with 18 in the ICU and 15 on a ventilator.

Rhode Island reached a significant milestone over the weekend, passing more than 200 thousand tests. The state has tested more than 20 percent of its population and continues to maintain the number one spot in the nation in terms of testing.

Governor Raimondo said the state’s response and focus will “keep the pedal to the metal” when it comes to testing.

State officials toured the state inspecting many restaurants and gyms. It was found that 80 percent of businesses were in compliance with their completed COVID-19 Control Plan ready to be shown. The hope is to get the other 20 percent of businesses on board with completed plans.

Additionally, the weekend was beautiful and many Rhode Island parks and beaches reached their capacity. While many places reached their capacity, no incidences were reported. Many visitors either waited or came back later. On Saturday, the beaches saw the busiest beach day so far this season. Around 25 thousand visitors hit the beaches on Saturday and 15 thousand on Sunday.

It was reported that many people were dropped off at the beach, and Governor Raimondo encourages people to get dropped off if they can. Some congregating was reported at the beaches and some patrons did become frustrated when asked to spread out by DEM Rangers. The governor said that if large crowds establish at beaches, beach guests will be asked to separate. On Wednesday Raimondo plans on providing some changes for beach protocol.

On Friday, Raimondo launched the “We Are One” campaign. The campaign was launched to help undocumented immigrants affected by the coronavirus who have been unable to access federal funding due to their immigration status. Since Friday, the campaign has raised $41 thousand dollars.

Working together with the United Way and the Rhode Island Realtors Association, the governor’s Housing Now campaign is an initiative for landlords to make rental units available for housing the insecure. An incentive of $2 thousand dollars for the first unit and $500 hundred dollars more for each additional unit. 40 rental units have been pledged so far, and Raimondo announced a goal of reaching 100 units by July 1.

Raimondo says she hopes to sign an executive order when Phase 2 is set to expire next Monday, June 29, so that Phase 3 will begin.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Rhode Island