Chilled tomato soup with avocado salsa
- 6 each Roma tomatoes, split and deseeded
- 2 each garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 each yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 ounce olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 each avocado, diced
- 1/2 each cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 each red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 each tomatillo, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Soup - In a hot skillet, add oil and sauté tomatoes, garlic, onions and basil. Add paste, broth and simmer until tomatoes fall apart. Remove from heat and then add vinegar and pepper. Puree soup in a food processor and refrigerate.
Salsa - Combine all ingredients and let chill for 2 hours before serving.
Serve soup with a dollop of salsa on top.
Courtesy of www.5aday.com