URI Defeats Brown To Win Ocean State Tip-Off Tournament, PC Downs Bryant In Consolation Game
University of Rhode Island Press Release
How it Happened
Rhode Island won its first Ocean State Tip-Off Tournament Championship, defeating Brown at the Ryan Center 72-67.
The Rams got the first five points on the board after a 3-pointer by Elemy Colome and a Davida Dale basket. Brown then went on a run of their own, scoring 12 unanswered points. The Bears used that momentum to end the period up 15-13.
A 3-pointer by Abby Streeter - her first of six - gave the Rams back their lead, 16-15. However Brown (6-5) answered with a three of their own from Erika Steeves at 6:58 (18-16). A layup by Nicole Jorgensen tied it at 18 and another 3-pointer by Streeter put the Rams up 21-18 with 5:38 left in the half. Rhode Island (5-2) used the last three minutes to do its damage, establishing a 12 point lead - backed by five points from Marta Vargas - and went into the locker room up 35-23.
The Rams continued to play well offensively in the third, maintaining their 12 point lead after a basket by Meghan Oberg followed by a steal by Streeter who then sinked another 3-pointer (44-32).
Brown was able to chip away at the Rhody lead in the fourth quarter, starting the period on a 7-3 run to get within four (57-53). Jorgensen then made the next four points for the Rams to get back on top 61-53 with 7:22 remaining.
The Bears cut the lead to three in the final minute of play, as Shayna Mehta made both at the line (70-67). Two good free throws by Dale and a block by Jorgensen on the other end with 10 seconds left sealed the victory for the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen scored a team-high 21 points and added 10 points for her second double-double of the season.
- Abby Streeter scored a career-high 20 points - going 6-of-7 from beyond the arc. The sophomore earned All-Tournament honors for her efforts.
- Redshirt junior Davida Dale scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Redshirt sophomore Meghan Oberg had a career-high 10 points while adding six points and dishing out five assists.
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome scored nine points to go with seven rebounds, five assists, and one block.
- The Rams outscored the Bears in second chance points (25-10), points in the paint (26-24) and bench points (31-7).
- Rhody continued its success at the charity stripe, shooting 85% (17-of-20).
- The All-Tournament team included Bryant's Syndey Halloway, Providence's Jovana Nogic, Brown's Justine Gaziano and Shayna Mehta, and Rhode Island's Abby Streeter. Davida Dale earned the All-Tournament MVP.
The Rams hit the road to face Kentucky on Thursday, Dec. 6. Tip off is set for 7:00 p.m.