PC slips up against host BC at Chestnut Hill
PC news release...
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – Jason O’Neill scored for the Friars to cut the deficit in half in the second period, but Boston College added insurance markers in the third period to defeat the No. 11/10 Providence College men’s hockey team, 4-1, on Saturday night at Conte Forum.
No. 11/10 Providence – 1 | Boston College – 4
Providence – 13-7-4 (6-5-1 HEA) | Boston College – 8-11-2 (8-3-2 HEA)
Conte Forum – Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 15 saves
Joe Woll (BC) – 25 saves
- Similar to last weekend, the Eagles jumped out early as Michael Kim cashed in on the power play just 3:16 into the game.
- The Friars surrendered their second shorthanded goal to the Eagles this season at 12:30 of the first on David Cotton’s 14th goal of the season.
- Hawkey kept the Friars in the game in the second period, including a sprawling save on Cotton’s shorthanded breakaway.
- Just moments after Hawkey’s save, Jason O’Neill got the Friars on the board with his third goal of the season to cut the BC lead to 2-1.
- The Eagles struck twice in the first 7:48 of the third period as Chris Grando and Chris Brown gave the Eagles a 4-1 lead. Brown’s goal came via a penalty shot.
- Josh Wilkins’ NCAA-long 13-game point streak ended on Saturday night.
- The Friars drop to 2-3-1 in the month of January.
- Jacob Bryson has totaled five assists over his last three games.
- O’Neill has registered three points (1-2-3) over the past two contests.
- Providence allowed its fifth shorthanded goal of the season on Saturday night.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BC) – 3:16/1st – PP – Michael Kim (Fitzgerald, Hutsko) – One-timer from the point.
2-0 (BC) – 12:30/1st – SH – David Cotton (McLaughlin) – Turnover in the neutral zone, Cotton rushed down the down the right wing snapped a shot past the blocker of Hawkey.
2-1 (PC) – 9:31/2nd – EV – Jason O’Neill (Lemos, Bryson) – Lemos threw a shot from along the goal line and the rebound bounced off the body of O’Neill driving the net.
3-1 (BC) – 3:00/3rd – EV – Chris Grando (unassisted) – Slap shot from the point through a screen.
4-1 (BC) – 7:48/3rd – PS – Christopher Brown – Penalty shot.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: O’Neill (1)
Assists: Bryson, Lemos (1)
Points: Bryson, Lemos, O’Neill (1)
Shots: Callahan, O'Neill (4)
Providence – 0/5
Boston College – 1/4
Providence - 26
Boston College – 19
The Friars will meet up the nationally-ranked Northeastern Huskies for a home-and-home series beginning next Friday night (Jan. 25) at Schneider Arena.