Email: BTaylor@ABC6.com

Twitter: BTaylorABC6

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE): 19 companies between fire and rescue were called to Regent Avenue in Providence for a house fire, on Saturday night around 7:15 p.m. 

A propane tank under the staircase that exploded is believed to be the cause of the fire, according to the Deputy Chief Assistant Brian Mahoney. 

Originally, there were reports of multiple people entrapped inside the home, which is why so many resources were dispatched to the scene. However, one person was home during the fire but made it out safely before the Fire Department arrived, according to Mahoney. 

The elderly male had slight burns on his arms and was treated on the scene but refused to be transported to the hospital. 

It took about 25 to 30 minutes for firefighters to control the fire. 

 

©WLNE-TV/ABC6 2019