PC Men's Soccer Beats Harvard, 1-0
Providence College Press Release
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men's soccer team edged the Harvard Crimson, 1-0, on Monday, Sept. 16 on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium. Tiago Mendonca (Faro, Portugal) scored the game-winning goal in the 21st minute.
Providence – 1
Harvard – 0
Providence – 4-2-0 (0-0-0 BIG EAST)
Harvard – 0-4-0 (0-0-0 Ivy League)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Austin Aviza (Medway, Mass.) kept the game scoreless in the 16th minute, making his first save of the match. He came off his line and slid at the feet of a Crimson attacker to deny the opportunity.
- Tiago Mendonca (Faro, Portugal) put Providence up 1-0 in the 21st minute. Davis Smith (Amherst, Mass.) caused a turnover by the Harvard goalkeeper and the ball squeaked to Andualem Chisholm (Attleboro, Mass.). His cross was one-touched by Smith and finished by Mendonca on a one-timer from the top of the box.
- Mendonca's goal was his first of the season. Smith picked up his third assist of the year, while Chisholm recorded his first.
- After the first half, Providence led 13-3 in shots. Crimson goalkeeper Oskar Nilsson made three saves in the opening 45 minutes.
- Providence nearly took a 2-0 lead late in the second half. Gil Santos (Parede, Portugal) ripped a shot from the left side that Nilsson saved with a diving effort. Mendonca headed the rebound on frame, but Nilsson was there once again to corral the ball.
- The Friars ended up outshooting Harvard 27-5. Providence also held an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Aviza made three saves in his second-consecutive shutout.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 20:04/1st – Tiago Mendonca (Smith, Chisholm) – Friars cause a goalkeeper turnover that leads to a one-timer by Mendonca
Providence: Austin Aviza, 4-2-0: 3 saves, 0 goals against
Harvard: Oskar Nilsson, 0-1-0: 6 saves, 1 goal against
Shots on goal: 7
Corner kicks: 8
Shots on goal: 3
Corner kicks: 3
The Friars open up league play on Friday, Sept. 20, taking on BIG EAST foe Seton Hall. Kick off is set for 7:00 p.m. on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -