Chemical mixture at Buffalo Wild Wings kills 1 employee
BURLINGTON, Mass. (AP/WLNE) - Massachusetts police say a Buffalo Wild Wings employee has died and 10 others have been hospitalized following a chemical mixture at the restaurant.
Burlington police say they think the employee inhaled fumes from a cleaning agent.
The employee, whose name was not released, was taken to a hospital where he later died. At least 10 other people have checked themselves into the hospital as a result of the incident, according to Burlington Fire Department.
Officials say the patients included both restaurant employees and patrons. Their conditions included difficulty breathing and burning feelings in the eyes.
At 5:36 p.m., crews responded to the Buffalo Wild Wings on 15 South Ave. for a report of a chemical reaction in the kitchen area.
A statement from a Buffalo Wild Wings spokesperson says:
"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation."
Authorities evacuated the restaurant and urged anyone who was inside at the time to get medical treatment, if needed.
The restaurant will remain closed while the investigation continues.
Fire officials say at this time there is no active threat to the public.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.