PC Men's Soccer Shuts Out NJIT In NCAA First Round
Providence College Press Release
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s soccer team shutout the NJIT Highlanders, 2-0, on Thursday, Nov. 21 in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. Trevor Davock (Medway, Mass.) scored his fifth goal this season and Esben Wolf (Copenhagen, Denmark) scored his fourth. With the win the Friars improve to 10-7-1 all time in NCAA Tournament action, including a 7-3-1 mark under Head Coach Craig Stewart.
Providence – 2
NJIT – 0
Providence – 15-6-0 (BIG EAST 6-3-0)
NJIT – 10-5-4 (ASUN 5-1-0)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- In the tenth minute, Trevor Davock (Medway, Mass.) delivered a side volley from Christopher Roman (Glastonbury, Conn.) to the back left of the net, past the goaltender to give the Friars and early 1-0 lead.
- Davock weaved his way through the box in the 14th minute, trying to put another one past Samuel Reisgys but the keeper made a diving save to his left to keep the deficit at one.
-In the 17th minute, Danny Griffin (Wethersfield, Conn.) fired a shot from the top of the box that ricocheted off of the left post and out.
-Providence controlled the pace and most of the possession through the first half
-In the 57th minute Providence had another chance to score. Esben Wolf (Copenhagen, Denmark) delivered a long ball across the box to Davis Smith (Amherst, Mass.) whose header went just above the crossbar.
- The Friars scored the insurance goal in the 65th minute. Wolf slotted home his shot in the lower right of the net to make it a 2-0 Friars’ lead. Griffin and Davock assisted the play
-In the 68th minute NJIT registered their first shot on goal of the match. Thomas Radon shot from the 18-yard line but Austin Aviza (Medway, Mass.) was able to make the save.
- Providence outshot NJIT 17-11 and held the advantage in corner kicks, 8-4.
- Aviza recorded his ninth shutout of the season and 11 as a team overall.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 9:16/1st – Trevor Davock (Roman) – Davock delivered a side volley from Roman in to the back left of the net.
2-0 (PC) – 64:36/2nd – Esben Wolf (Griffin, Davock) – Griffin advanced the ball to Wolf on the left side of the pitch who then slotted the ball in bottom right of the night.
Providence: Austin Aviza (15-6-0), 2 save, 0 goals against
NJIT: Samuel Reisgys (3-3-3), 7 saves, 2 goals against
Shots on goal: 9
Corner kicks: 8
Shots on goal: 2
Corner kicks: 4
The Friars advance to the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament and will face the No. 15 seed Penn State. The game is set for kick-off at 5:00 p.m. in University Park, Pa.
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCFriarsMSoccer