Providence Wins Fourth Straight Mayor's Cup, 4-2 Over Brown
A three-goal outburst in the second period paced the No. 13/14 Providence College men's hockey team to a 4-2 win over Brown in the 34th Mayor's Cup at Schneider Arena on Saturday (Nov. 30). Providence claimed the Mayor's Cup for the fourth-consecutive season with the win.
Providence – 4 | Brown – 2
No. 13/14 Providence – 8-4-3 (5-3-2 HEAM) | Brown – 3-7-0 (3-5-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I. – 34th Mayor's Cup
Michael Lackey (PC) – 23 saves
Gavin Nieto (Brown) – 31 saves
- Brown struck first just 2:48 into the game as Trey Dodd pounced on a turnover and fired a slap shot that beat Lackey over the glove.
- The Friars drew even late in the first period on Patrick Moynihan's sixth goal of the season, his fifth on the power play to knot things up at 1-1.
- Parker Ford connected for his sixth goal of the season after a give-and-go between Jack Dugan and Greg Printz set the play up.
- The Friars continued to tack on with a pair of goals just 1:21 apart as Tyce Thompson moved into a tie for the national lead in goals with his 12th strike of the season.
- Senior Shane Kavanagh beat Nieto with a wrap-around for his first goal of the season to put the Friars up 4-1.
- Brown cut the deficit to 4-2 early in the third on Cole Quisenberry's goal.
- The Providence defense hunkered down, limited the Bears to just seven third period shots.
- Jack Dugan continues to lead the NCAA in scoring with 31 points after recording his 24th and 25th assists of the season and now has 12 games of at least two points.
- Thompson extended his point streak to six games (5-5-10) with a goal and an assist. He now has nine games of at least two points this season.
- The Friars have outscored the Bears 20-3 over the last four meetings.
- Providence surrendered the first goal of the game for just the second time in 15 games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Brown) – 2:48/1st – EV – Trey Dodd (unassisted) – Slap shot to the far top corner rushing down the left wing.
1-1 (PC) – 18:38/1st – PP – Patrick Moynihan (Dugan, Thompson) – Pass from Dugan through the seam to Moynihan at the bottom of the left circle.
2-1 (PC) – 3:40/2nd – EV – Parker Ford (Printz, Dugan) – Give and go between Dugan and Printz. Printz fed Ford for a tap-in at the top of the crease.
3-1 (PC) – 14:29/2nd – EV – Tyce Thompson (Ford, Crozier) – Put-back on a rebound of a Parker Ford shot.
4-1 (PC) – 15:50/2nd – EV – Shane Kavanagh (Koopman) – Wrap-around that beat Nieto to the far post.
4-2 (Brown) – 2:57/3rd – EV – Cole Quisenberry (Cocca, Stillwell) – Shot from the faceoff circle off the post and in.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Moynihan, Ford, Thompson, Kavanagh (1)
Assists: Dugan (2)
Points: Dugan, Ford, Thompson (2)
Shots: Ford (5)
Providence – 1/6
Brown – 0/5
Providence – 35
Brown – 25
The Friars conclude the first half of the season with a home-and-home series against UMass Lowell. Puck drop for Friday night's game is set for 7:15 PM at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.