Pumpkin bread pudding
One half-pound baguette (about six cups)
2 cups heavy cream
1¼ cups canned pumpkin
Five whole eggs
1½ tbsp. corn syrup
¼ cup plus two tbsp. sugar
1¼ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground ginger
1¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
Room temperature butter as needed
Extra sugar as needed
One recipe orange crème anglaise (below) Caramel sauce
Sauce pots (2)
- Dice baguette into 1/2" pieces and place on a sheet pan. Bake in a
250º oven for 8 minutes to dry out.
- Place cream in a sauce pot and bring to a low simmer.
- In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin, eggs, corn syrup, sugar,
vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whip to blend all
ingredients well. Slowly add the warm cream and the dry bread,
mix well. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Spread butter inside 5- 12oz. coffee cups, then coat with sugar.
Evenly fill each cup so that it is filled to 1/2" from the top of the cup.
- Place cups in a 2" deep baking pan and fill the pan with one inch of water.
Bake in a 325º oven for 35-40 minutes or until a
toothpick comes out dry. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then invert
the cup to remove the bread pudding.
- Place 1 1/2 oz. orange crème anglaise in the center of a 9" plate.
Squirt caramel sauce in a spiral design in the anglaise. Using a
Toothpick, make a web design. Set the bread pudding on top of the
sauce with the crusted side facing up and top with a dollop of
of whipped cream.
Comments: May serve with walnuts and a mint sprig.