Suspect accused of shooting Woonsocket officer faces 13 felony charges

By: Chloe Leshner



WOONSOCKET, R.I. (WLNE) — The suspect involved in a Woonsocket shooting that resulted in a cop being shot faces 13 felony charges. 

Tyler Christopher Chandler, 22, was arraigned Tuesday morning in District Court. Chandler was arrested Monday after a long stand-off with Woonsocket Police during which Chandler allegedly shot at a half dozen law enforcement officials.

According to Police, Chandler has no prior criminal history, but the judge overseeing the case noted the severity of the charges. 

Chandler currently faces 13 felony charges, including six counts of assault with a dangerous weapon. According to the District Attorney, several of the charges require a mandatory life sentence in the event of conviction.

The judge presiding over the case has ordered Chandler to be held without bail and that he undergo a mental health evaluation.

Five of the officers involved in the incident are also under investigation for discharging their weapons during the interaction with Chandler.

See previous updates to this story below.

A Woonsocket police sergeant is out of the hospital after being shot in the leg early this morning. The suspect accused of shooting him is finally in custody after an hours long standoff.

Police had the suspect cornered in this parking lot for nearly 2 hours negotiating with him to drop his gun, finally using a concussion grenade to help get him into custody.

The officer shot in the leg is identified as Officer Travis Young, and the suspect has been identified as 22-year-old Tyler Chandler, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island.

Tense moments in Woonsocket as a swat team surrounding a parking lot tried to convince a man who shot a police sergeant to surrender.

"They go to work, our officers, everyday they don’t know what the next call or the next traffic stop is going to be," Chief Thomas Oates with the Woonsocket Police Department.

The suspect was walking down the street holding a gun when he passed an officer on a routine patrol, then he ran off.

"He got out of his police vehicle, began to approach him on foot and a brief chase began, the individual then turned around and fired at the police sergeant," says Oates.

Officer Young was hit in the thigh but, has already released from Rhode Island Hospital.

After another chase they finally got him cornered in a parking lot and negotiations began. 

"He did have a firearm in his possession which at one point he did throw into the grass so we have recovered a firearm. He refused for a long time to show his hands so they deployed a distraction device and our officers rushed him. He violently struggled with the officers but was taken into custody," says Oates.

The suspect was taken out in an ambulance and brought to the hospital with non life threatening injuries.

Now, several investigations are just getting started.

"Shooting a gun and wounding a police officer is a very serious offense so we have 1 team focused exclusively on bringing appropriate charges for the suspect and other officers working on the officer involved shooting end of things," says Jerry Coyne, the Assistant Attorney General.

Tyler Chandler was arrested and charged with five counts of assault with a deadly weapon, five counts of discharging a firearm when committing a crime of violence, and carrying a firearm without a license. 

Police say the suspect will be arraigned on Tuesday, July 3, 2018.

© WLNE-TV / ABC6 NEWS 2018