UPDATE: Swansea fire caused by unattended cigarette

By: News Staff

news@abc6.com

By: News Staff

news@abc6.com

A Swansea fire left one man unconscious early Friday morning.

64-year-old Michael Medeiros of Swansea was rescued by firefighters after his home was caught on fire due to an unattended cigarette.

Officials say the fire broke out approximately 6:00 a.m. on 55 Locust Street.

Due to lack of visibility, Swansea firefighters had to use thermal imagining technology and the “sweep” rescue method to locate Medeiros.

Fire officials say Medeiros was rescued over latter and then given CPR after being unresponsive.

Medeiros was breathing before the ambulance arrived to the scene and was transported to Rhode Island Hospital.

©WLNE-TV / ABC6 2016