Toure Helps URI Women Close Out Coppin State For Third Straight Win
By Hannah Lorusso
Rhode Island Starters: Cairns, Hattix-Covington, Lassiter, Squires, Touré
Coppin State Starters: Staples, Watkins, Evans, Gardner, Salley
How it Happened
Rhode Island fought a close game against Coppin State at The Ryan Center Tuesday night to achieve their third straight win 67-60.
Rhode Island (3-1) and Coppin State started out the game offensively strong as they both scored within 30 seconds into the game. Mayé Touré started out the quarter with back-to-back layups within one minute apart that initially gave Rhody the lead (4-3). Emma Squires followed a minute after with the first Rhody 3-pointer to establish four point advantage (7-3). As Rhode Island continued to fire up their offense, the Eagles (2-4) were forced to take a timeout with 2:58 left in the first quarter when they found themselves in an 11 point deficit (19-8). Out of the timeout, Coppin State went on a 9-2 run to cut the lead and end the first down four, 21-17.
The second quarter belonged to the visitors, who outscored the Rams 17-11 to go into the half with the two-point lead. Rhody’s defense struggled as Coppin State tied the game 28-28 with 4:47 left to play and held the Rams scoreless for over two minutes of the period. A jumper by Sophie Phillips ended the scoring drought and put the Rams back on top, but the visiting Eagles used a 6-0 run to close out the quarter and go into the break up two, 34-32.
Touré opened the third quarter for the Rams scoring on a layup 20 seconds into the period. Dolly Cairns and Sayawni Lassiter followed with back-to-back baskets putting the Rams up four (39-35). Rhody held Coppin State without a field goal for 2:35 of the third. The period ended with Rhody at a one point lead of 47-46.
In the fourth period, Rhody used a lock-down defense to limit Coppin State to 6-of-14 from the floor (42.9%). The Rams went on a 6-0 run, capped by a layup by Touré, to build a five point lead at 58-53. Squires had a successful trip to the free throw line to secure the third straight victory for the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Mayé Touré had her second career double-double and first of the season in the win. She added a game-high 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Grad transfer Emma Squires added 15 points, three rebounds, and one steal.
- Junior Dolly Cairns had 12 points, connecting on three 3-pointers. She’s now tied for ninth all-time with 111 career treys.
- Grad transfer Madison Hattix-Covington was the fourth Ram in double figures, stuffing her stat sheet with 10 points, seven boards, four steals, and three assists. She also added a blocked shot.
- Freshman Anaelle Dutat had her third straight game with double digit rebounds, grabbing 10 boards. She added five points, and two steals.
- The Rams scored 23 points off 15 forced turnovers.
- It was a big night for the bigs, as nearly half the points came from the paint (30).
The Rams head south for their trip to the UCF Tournament to play two games in two straight days. Rhody faces Southeast Missouri State Saturday before Samford on Sunday. Both games are set to tip at noon.