Trout season kicks off in the Ocean State
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management said Saturday, April 8, is the beginning of the 2023 trout season.
In a post to social media, the department announced they stocked more than 100 freshwater locations with roughly 60,000 fish.
The department said they released a mix of brook, brown, rainbow and golden rainbow trout.
RIDEM officials said Wigwam Pond in Wilbur Woods in Little Compton was not stocked due to a deterioration of access to the area.
Officials further incentivized anglers by offering a special reward for catching a golden rainbow trout between opening day and May 8.
All you have to do is take a picture of your trout and send it to email@example.com for verification and you’ll be eligible to receive a golden trout pin, the department said.
The DEM named the locations stocked with golden rainbow trout as follows:
- Barber Pond, South Kingstown
- Carbuncle Pond, Coventry
- Carolina Trout Pond, Richmond
- Eight Rod Farm Pond, Tiverton
- Meadow Brook Pond, Richmond
- Melville Ponds, Portsmouth
- Olney Pond, Lincoln Wood State Park, Lincoln
- Peck Pond, Burrillville
- Shippee Sawmill Pond, Foster
- Silver Spring Lake, North Kingstown
- Simmons Mill Pond, Little Compton
- Tucker Pond, South Kingstown
- Watchaug Pond, Charlestown
- Willett Pond, East Providence
For a full list of stocked locations, fishing license information and general angler safety tips, visit dem.ri.gov.