UN virus therapy trial pauses hydroxychloroquine testing

Virus Outbreak Who Probe
FILE - In this Monday, Feb. 24, 2020 file photo, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), addresses a press conference about the update on COVID-19 at the World Health Organization headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The European Union is calling for an independent evaluation of the World Health Organization’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, “to review experience gained and lessons learned.” (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP, File)

GENEVA (AP) – The World Health Organization says it will temporarily drop hydroxychloroquine from its global study into experimental COVID-19 treatments because its experts need to review all available evidence.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Monday that in light of a paper published last week in the Lancet, that showed people taking hydroxychloroquine were at higher risk of death and heart problems than those that were not, there would be “a temporary pause” on the hydroxychloroquine arm of its global clinical trial.

U.S. President Donald Trump has said he is taking the anti-malarial drug, even though he has not tested positive for COVID-19.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, US & World News