URI Women’s Hoops Pulls Away From Saint Joseph’s For 12th Straight Victory
University of Rhode Island Press Release
Rhode Island Starters
Williams, Foppossi, Cairns, Elmore Tahane
Saint Joseph’s Starters
Brugler, Mullins, Boslet, Gribble, Mayock
How it Happened
Rhode Island (19-3, 9-0 Atlantic 10) got 33 points from Emmanuelle Tahane and Dolly Cairns grabbed its program-record 12th consecutive victory, winning 59-48 at Saint Joseph’s Wednesday.
The win streak is the third longest active run in the country. Rhody trails only Florida Gulf Coast (15 straight wins) and fellow A-10 member Dayton (13 straight wins), both of which won Wednesday.
Saint Joseph’s (8-14, 4-6 A-10) was able to keep the game close in the first half. On the strength of 19 first quarter points, the Hawks managed to get to halftime tied, 30-30.
The second half belonged to Rhode Island. The Rams held Saint Joseph’s to 17 second-half points, steadily pulling away to win their sixth straight road game.
Inside the Box Score
- Saint Joseph’s had won 15 of the previous 17 meetings between the schools.
- Redshirt senior Emmanuelle Tahane had her sixth double-double of the season, finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
- Sophomore Dolly Cairns had 15 points, all of which came on 3-point shots. She was 5-of-9 from deep.
- Graduate student Chanell Williams scored the 1,000th of her career. The Providence transfer scored eight points and had six assists.
- She reached the 1,000-point milestone with her fifth point of the night.
- Graduate transfer Dez Elmore had nine points, six rebounds and six assists.
- Redshirt junior Marie-Paule Foppossi had seven points, eight rebounds and three steals.
- Dating back to last season, Rhode Island has won 11 consecutive conference games.
- Rhode Island won its sixth straight road game.
- The Rams had 17 assists, their seventh consecutive game with at least 14.
- Rhode Island had a 17-4 edge in points off turnovers.
Rhode Island hosts Fordham on Sunday, Feb. 13. Game time is 1 p.m. on ESPN+.