Vacant school in Providence catches fire for third time since September

Providence, RI (WLNE) – Firefighters responded to a fire at the old Windmill Street School on Tuesday. It’s the third small fire at the vacant building since September.

The fire was in the auditorium of the old school. Investigators said the fire started after squatters began cooking in the building. However, the squatters had left the scene by the time firefighters arrived. No one was hurt.

On September 5, firefighters responded to a fire in a classroom at the old school. They managed to contain the fire to that classroom.

On October 30, firefighters quickly knocked down another small fire at the building.

As with the other two fires, firefighters quickly got Tuesday’s fire under control.

Firefighters said they are very familiar with the building because they have used it for training exercises for years.

Categories: News, Providence, Rhode Island